Lifting at Club AKA
At Club AKA, Kevin will work closely with you, to ensure that you understand and can perform each move with proper posture and technique. Every workout will be geared to your individual level of fitness and ability.
Barbell exercises are uncomplicated - no fancy moves required!
Some examples of barbell exercises :
- Bench Press : Lie on the bench with feet on the floor and raise the loaded barbell with both arms.
- Dead Lift : Lift the loaded barbell off the ground to the level of the hips, then lower back to the ground.
- Press : Grasp loaded barbell just outside shoulder width. Take the bar off the rack and hold it at shoulder level with your forearms perpendicular to the floor. Press the bar overhead, pushing your head forward and shrugging your traps as the bar passes your face.
- Squat : Brace the loaded barbell braced across the trapezius muscle or rear deltoid muscle in the upper back. Squat and repeat.
- Snatch: The goal is to use a wide grip to lift a barbell from the floor to an overhead position in one fluid and lightening-fast motion.
Benefits of Weight Lifting
Lose Body Fat
Weight training builds muscle, as lean muscle increases so does metabolism. A higher metabolism means that you will burn more calories all day long.
Gain Strength Without Bulking
One of the most common reasons women avoid weight training is because they are afraid of “bulking.” This is a misconception as it physically can not happen. Women simply don’t have the testosterone to build muscle like men.
Decrease Risk of Osteoporosis
Weight training not only strengthens muscles, it strengthens your bones. Weight training increases bone density, which reduces the risk of fractures and broken bones.
Reduce Risk of Injury
Weight training also increases strength in connective tissues and joints. Strong joints, ligaments, and tendons are important to prevent injury and can relieve pain from osteoarthritis. Strengthening muscles and connective tissue will make injury from daily tasks and routine exercise less likely, and can even improve sports performance.
Burn More Calories
Weight training has been proven to raise your metabolism for up to 24 hours after a workout. The more intense the workout the more calories are burned.
Improve Posture and Reduce Back Pain
Weight-training will strengthen your back, shoulders, and core, helping to correct bad posture so that you can stand taller, with shoulders back and spine straight.
Enhance Mood and Reduce Stress
Exercise and weight-training release endorphins. Endorphins are neurotransmitters that prevent pain, improve mood, and fight depression.